“Master” is a 2021 Indian Tamil-language action-thriller film directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj and produced by Xavier Britto. The film stars Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi in the lead roles, with Malavika Mohanan, Shanthanu Bhagyaraj, and Andrea Jeremiah in supporting roles. The film was released on January 13, 2021, and received positive reviews from critics and audiences alike.
- Vijay as John Durairaj “J.D.
- Vijay Sethupathi as Bhavaniinmates of the juvenile detention facility to surrender on his behalf, in order to escape from e law.
- Mahendran as Young Bhavani
- Malavika Mohanan as Charulatha vestigates and fights against the criminal activities of the juvenile detention facility. She later develops feelings for J.D.
- Shanthanu Bhagyaraj as Bhargav, a student who is angry at his co-student Savitha during the election, but later turns her best friend.
- Andrea Jeremiah as Vanathi, J.D.’s friend and an expert in archery.
- Arjun Das as Das, an ally of Bhavani responsible for the illegal drug and alcoholic activities in the juvenile detention facility. He later reforms himself and joins J.D. in his fight against Bhavani.
- Master Akshay Kumar as Young Das
- Gouri G. Kishan as Savitha, a students’ welfare leaders who cooperates with Bhargav. She is also shown to be one of J.D.’s favorite pupils.
- Nassar as the college’s founder / JD’s Mentor.
- Azhagam Perumal as the college principal
- Ciby Bhuvana Chandran as Sri
- Kulappulli Leela as the juvenile school cook
- Ramya Subramanian as Ramya
- Rajesh as College staff
- Mahanadi Shankar as Thulukanam, the jail warden
- Praveen as Adhik
- Arun Alexander as Essaki, Bhavani’s enemy
- Raja Rani Pandian as P.C Arumugam
- Sai Dheena as Dheena, juvenile school warden
- Ramesh Thilak as juvenile school warden
- Chetan as a Professor
- Mathew Varghese as Mathew, a Professor
- Sudha as Savitha’s mother
- Ravishankar as Savitha’s father
- Ajith Koshy as Adhik’s father
- Rahul Kannan as Rahul
- Sunil Reddy as Education Minister
- Kalyani Natarajan as a Professor
- Mona as a professor
- Vishalini as Rosie Madam
- Surekha Vani as Adhik’s mother
- Soundarya Bala Nandakumar as college Professor
- Lintu Rony as a college professor
- Dheena as a prisoner
- Lallu as a prisoner
- Udayaraj as a prisoner
- Poovaiyar as Undiyal
- Sriman as JD’s friend
- Sanjeev as JD’s friend
- Srinath as JD’s friend
- Prem Kumar as Prem
- Nagendra Prasad as JD’s friend
- Sangeetha V as Madhi
- Master Shakthi as Juvenile Student
- Master Bhavaz as Sabari
The film follows the story of two men: JD (played by Vijay Sethupathi), a professor serving as a warden at a juvenile detention center, and Bhavani (played by Vijay), a former student of JD’s who arrives at the center.
Tensions rise between the two as they engage in a power struggle, with JD trying to assert his authority as warden and Bhavani seeking to challenge his authority. The film follows their battle of wills as they try to outwit each other and gain the upper hand.
As their conflict escalates, the film takes on elements of action and suspense as JD and Bhavani engage in physical confrontations and try to gain the advantage over one another. The film also explores themes of redemption and rehabilitation as Bhavani tries to turn his life around and leave behind a life of crime.
Overall, “Master” is an intense and thrilling film that keeps audiences on the edge of their seats with its high-stakes action and dramatic storyline. The film was praised for its direction, performances, and action sequences, and is considered one of the standout films of the Tamil film industry.
The production of “Master” was beset by several challenges, including the COVID-19 pandemic, which caused delays in filming and resulted in the film being released later than initially planned. Despite these challenges, the film was a commercial and critical success, grossing over INR 200 crore at the box office and receiving positive reviews from audiences and critics alike.
Overall, “Master” is considered a standout production in the Tamil film industry, and its success has further solidified Vijay’s status as one of the biggest stars in South Indian cinema.